5 Reasons to own versus renting
30-year mortgage rates have hit 4.35% and the competition for homes on the market is higher than it has been in many years. These are two huge factors make it a great time to buy a home versus renting. If you have been putting off buying a home, read these 5 advantages to owning a home posted by The New York Times.
• Be your own landlord. The bank can only kick you out if you don’t pay; a landlord can be much less dependable – deciding to sell the property or choosing to live there themselves.
• Paying the principal is forced savings. Yes, it’s possible that home prices will fall further. It is also possible that your 401(k) will lose value. But over the long haul, both are likely to enjoy modest gains in value.
• Fixed-rate mortgages never rise – and eventually you pay them off. With mortgage rates at record lows, people who buy now are locking in real bargains.
• Good schools. Family-sized rentals are harder to come by in areas with excellent public schools.
• Spacious properties in pleasant neighborhoods. Sizable homes in attractive communities are almost always owned – not rented.